Do you want to be frightened? If you are hoping to be truly terrified this Halloween season, then we have information about the scariest haunted houses in America. Be warned: These are not for the squeamish! Every one of these haunted house Halloween attractions will make your skin crawl, and just might send you off screaming. Here are the ones we recommend… if you dare!
- The Scarehouse in Pittsburgh, PA The Scarehouse has been called “one of America’s scariest Halloween attractions” by the Travel Channel. It takes place in a 100 year old building. This haunted house offers 3 scares for the price of 1: “The Forsaken”, “Pittsburgh Zombies,” and a”Creepo’s Christmas in 3D.” If you’re looking for something even more intense, try the 18-and-over Basement attraction, where you will be restrained, touched and terrified. Go to www.scarehouse.com for more information and hours of operation.
- The Cutting Edge Haunted House in Fort Worth, TX Located in an abandoned meat packing plant, the Cutting Edge is the longest walk-through haunted house in the U.S. at 235,000 square feet. This haunted house boasts special effects, ghosts, monsters, scary clowns, and electric shocks, and will take about an hour to go through. Tickets are $30 for ages 11 and over, $25 for ages 10 and under. Hours of operation can be found at www.cuttingedgehauntedhouse.com
Night of Terror in Mullica Hill, NJ This attraction was featured on HGTV’s Scariest Haunted Houses. attractions include a haunted paintball hayride, “Slaughter Cave,” “3-D Fun House,” “Zombie Mayhem,” “Ride of Terror” and more. Visit www.nightofterror.com for ticket prices and hours of operation.
The Erebus in Pontiac, MI According to the ancient Greeks, the Erebus was the darkness below the earth that the dead had to pass through in order to reach Hades. The modern-day Erebus is a 4-story haunted house that offers moving walls, bottomless pits, and man-eating monsters. This was the world’s largest haunted house from 500-2009. Admission is $28, and tickets should be ordered in advance. Hours of operation and more information can be found at www.hauntedpontiac.com
- 13th Gate in Baton Rouge, LA Named the best haunted attraction by Top Haunts Magazine as well as one of the best haunts in the country by HauntWorld.com, 13th Gate will truly terrify you. Experience some of your most frightening nightmares as they become reality. Visitors crawl through a cemetery oven, navigate their way through underground tunnels, and stand on a bridge above live snakes. Tickets are $25. More information can be found at www.midnightproduction.com
- The Dent SchoolHouse, Cincinnati, Ohio – This Haunted House is built inside of an eerie 120 year old schoolhouse. According to urban legend, after the school house was opened, children would mysteriously disappear. It was said that the janitor, Charlie murdered the children in the basement. He was never found and continues to haunt the school. It has won recognition from America Haunts, Hauntworld.com and Top Haunts Magazine. More info and pictures at www.frightsite.com
- Terror Behind the Walls- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – The largest haunted attraction in America is located in Philadelphia. Terror Behind the Walls takes place in the actual former prison of Eastern State Penitentiary. The prison doesn’t really need any extra props to look scary because it is creepy in and of itself with its crumbling walls and aging cellblocks. Some people believe that the prison really is haunted and many paranormal shows have done investigations there to look for ghosts. There are 6 total attractions, including a new one for this year called the Machine shop. More info at www.easterstate.org
- 13th Floor , Phoenix, Arizona - Awarded one of the top 10 scariest haunted houses by the Discovery channel, it is a 60,000 sq. ft. haunt with two themed attractions: Zombieland Lockdown and Dwellings of the Seas. www.13thflooraz.com
- McKamey Manor- San Diego, California – McKamey Manor is very extreme. Participants have fake blood poured on them and have to eat things that they might find grotesque. They are also forced to climb into a clothes dryer at some point. Don’t worry though, everything is all in good fun and made to give people the ultimate scare. They offer the world’s only true interactive 4 to 7 hour extreme haunt experience. No one under the age of 21 is permitted. www.mckameymanor.com
- Blackout Haunted House- New York, New York – If you are looking for a rather interesting haunted house, then this is it. Blackout Haunted House in New York is known not only for its creepiness, but it’s rather scary situations. There is a lot of physical contact with the actors and the probability of getting soaking wet. Because of the extreme situations that participants will find themselves in, there is a designated code word that they can use if they don’t want to participate in the activities anymore. This type of haunted house is best left for those that don’t get creeped out fairly easily. There is now a location in Los Angeles as well. www.theblackoutexperience.com
Because of the nature of these haunted houses, only those 18 and over can attend them. If you are brave enough to visit any of these haunted houses, remember to bring with you a brave attitude and an extra set of clothes because you might get a little bit messy.
Have you visited any super scary haunted houses? If so, let us know about them in the comments section below!